Coonamessett Farm Foundation (CFF) (http://coonamessettfarmfoundation.org/) is seeking a motivated, experienced biologist with fisheries and observer experience. The Fisheries Science Technician will work closely with fellow CFF employees and captains of fishing vessels to manage our research observer program, and to participate in off-shore research trips as an at-sea biologist for a variety of ongoing CFF projects. The selected candidate will possess exceptional interpersonal skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills, and excellent problem-solving abilities. Additionally, they will demonstrate work well in a professional, team-oriented environment.
· Participate in research cruises for various CFF projects. It is anticipated the successful candidate will be at sea for at least 50-60 days;
· Develop a list of independent contractors that CFF may deploy on research compensation trips;
· Establish and maintain relationships with fishing vessel captains, and train vessel crews and independent CFF contractors to collect basic scientific data during research compensation trips;
· Analyze the data collected by observers and vessel crews and write technical reports; and
· Search for funding opportunities and write grant proposals (including budgets and scopes of work for collaborators).
· Additional duties could include participating in the creation and oversight of outreach programs, video annotation, and supporting existing CFF projects as needed.
· BS in a science discipline (e.g. biology, environmental science, etc)
· Statistical analysis experience
· Preferred program experience in: ArcGIS, R, , Solidworks, Microsoft Access
· Multiple years of relevant experience (extensive at-sea experience preferred)
· Ability to manage a heavy workload and participate at-sea as needed
· Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
CFF offers a competitive benefits package and compensation commensurate with experience.
Please submit cover letter and CV to email@example.com
The start date for this position is April 1, 2017.