Woods Hole Oceanographic Institutions Communications Department is searching for a Lead Exhibit Center Assistant to join their team. This is a three-quarters time position that is eligible for benefits. To apply for this role please visit us at www.whoi.edu/jobs
Under the direction of the Ocean Science Exhibit Center Manager, supports the operation of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution's Exhibit Center.
- Ensures smooth daily operation of the WHOI Ocean Science Exhibit Center, the Institution's primary visitor facility. Responsibilities include opening and closing the facility, cleaning displays and exhibits, and staffing gift shop and entry desk, as needed. Works cooperatively with other Exhibit Center and Institution staff and the WHOI volunteer corps. Oversees Exhibit Center staffing schedule and guides Exhibit Center Staff in day to day operations.
- Coordinates the schedule for group visits and provides presentations on Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution to visiting groups.
- Orders and receives merchandise and processes payments. Provides reports to WHOI business office as needed.
- Oversees fulfillment and back-end management of online orders for shop.whoi.edu and web site updates to shop.whoi.edu.
- Sells merchandise in the Exhibit Center gift shop. Responsibilities include operating computerized point-of-sales systems; handling receipts and deposits; following detailed procedures for daily closeouts; and restocking, folding, pricing, and counting inventory.
- Greets customers, visitors, and the general public. Responsibilities include providing accurate information about WHOI programs and activities.
- Serves as resource for Ocean Science Exhibit Center use by WHOI staff for internal receptions and meetings, and merchandise needs of WHOI staff year round.
- Other activities as required such as support of public events and special projects assigned by the Ocean Science Exhibit Center Manager.
Other responsibilities as needed from the department.
DESIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
High school education required; college education helpful. Experience in public information and retail operations recommended. Familiarity with Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and vicinity helpful. Required attributes include great people skills, flexibility, ability to take direction, and care and accuracy with receipts and records. Familiarity with computer systems in a retail setting including experience in retail back end operations as well as spread sheets and databases helpful. Position requires moderate physical ability (climbing stairs, carrying boxes of inventory, standing for long periods, cleaning displays and exhibits, etc.).
Physical duties for this position include but are not limited to, ability carrying under 25 lbs; Visual abilities to include depth perception, ability to see peripherally, and ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus, ability to distinguish basic colors. Hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively, working with others and around others. Other physical tasks include occasional/prolonged standing/walking; manual dexterity and mobility, use of hands for basic /fine grasping/manipulation, and occasional reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling and crouching. Physical duties are subject to change.
WHOI is a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). We are sensitive to the issues of dual career candidates and we will work with applicants to address them. Please visit HERC - for more information.
WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply. Applications are reviewed confidentially. Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email email@example.com for assistance.