TEDxProvincetown announces first speakers
for June 30 TEDx Talk event at Fishermen Hall in Provincetown
March 26, 2018 (Provincetown, MA) – The “troublemaker” who instigated the fight for gender equality in Hollywood, an artist who details how light affects us, a partner reflecting on her transgender relationship, a bear on the evolution of bear culture, a marine biologist on the plight of the North Atlantic right whale, and a percussionist on the biological impacts of sound comprise the first slate of speakers confirmed for TEDxProvincetown.
“Our speakers have strong Provincetown ties and are great ambassadors for our regional brain trust,” says TEDxProvincetown producer Ian Edwards. “These talks pivot on our unique perspective, a fresh lens and a new take that fits our theme of 20/20 Perfect [IN]sight. This is really an opportunity for Provincetown to take its place in the TED Talk universe.”
- Maria Giese, filmmaker and Provincetown native, describes how she instigated Hollywood’s gender equality movement and envisions the post-#MeToo era
- Ali Sands, author and Wellfleet resident, brings her personal love story as a partner in a transgender relationship
- Frank Strona, health planner and former Provincetown resident, shares his unique perspective on diversity and inclusion in explaining bear culture history and lifestyle
- Michael Moore, marine biologist from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, explains a turnaround story for the endangered North Atlantic right whale
- Roxanne Layton, world-renowned musician with Mannheim Steamroller and Provincetown resident, performs her examination of sound and how it drives our biological responses
- Romolo Del Deo, international artist and Provincetown native, explains our relationship to light from an artistic and humanistic perspective.
TEDxProvincetown is an officially licensed event under the TED Talks umbrella (ted.com), which will be independently produced at Fishermen Hall in Provincetown on June 30, 2018. Tickets will go on sale in May. The TEDxProvincetown program aims for nine speakers and the open call for speakers continues through April.
The event is largely volunteer-run, including the producers and speakers. Local paid vendors include video production and editing, graphic design and web development. TEDxProvincetown is grateful for sponsors including Bay State Cruises, Arcadia, Cape Cod 5, Fidelity, Cape Cod Center for Sustainability and Alden Gallery. Organizers are still looking for sponsors and can offer sponsor premiums. More information: www.tedxprovincetown.com.
In the spirit of “ideas worth spreading,” TED has created TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxProvincetown, where x = independently organized TED event. www.ted.com.